Welcome to Miss Jurchen and Mrs. Ziem’s 2nd Grade Class!
Students in Miss Jurchen and Mrs. Zeim’s 2nd Grade Class will learn about the following topics:
- Art – Study works of art from around the world and famous artists. Students will have the opportunity to use various media and improve their artistic skills
- Christian Religion – Study the Bible and cover two Bible stories per week
- Computer – Students will attend the courses twice weekly and will learn basic computer skills
- Handwriting – Review manuscript handwriting and begin learning cursive handwriting. Handwriting will be observed and stressed in all subjects
- Health – Proper care of human body, identifying functions, good hygiene habits, care of mind, maintaining a drug-free body and lifestyle
- Language Arts – Write simple sentences using correct capitalization and punctuation, Identify different parts of speech, Use standard English, Increase writing skills
- Math – Counting and number patterns, addition and subtraction with regrouping (borrowing and carrying), place value to 1,000, calendar reading, basic geometry, fractions, word problems
- Memory Work – Learn two sections of Scripture related to their Bible Study lessons per week. Sometimes Memory work will include a song that the class is learning for Chapel or another special occasions
- Music – Attend music twice a week, and will have the opportunity to sing a variety of songs including religious, patriotic, folk, and multicultural songs
- Physical Education – Development of motor skills, coordination, cardiovascular strength, and endurance.
- Reading and Phonics – Decoding and phonics, reading and following directions, vocabulary building, sequencing, finding the main idea, language skills, location and correction of grammatical errors
- Science – Properties of matter, force, gravity, friction and work, sound and light, life science including animal movement, sounds, other physical characteristics
- Social Studies – Learn about communities around the world, learn about our country its leaders past and present, geography and map work, citizenship
- Spelling – Learn lessons which reinforce spelling along with strategies to help students practice correct spelling