Welcome to Mrs. Heun’s 4th & 5th Grade Class!
Students in Mrs. Heun’s 4th & 5th Grade Class will learn about the following topics:
- Art – Learning the meaning and appreciation of art, and to improve skills in the areas of drawing, painting, prints, sculpture, and crafts
- Christian Religion – Study God and His Word, Law, Gospel, Confession, Repentance, Forgiveness, and Grace as well as the six chief parts of Luther’s Catechism
- Computer – Students will attend the courses twice weekly and will learn keyboard and basic computer skills
- Handwriting – Cursive handwriting in most subject areas with emphasis on neatness, correct letter formation, and legibility
- Language Arts – Reading, comprehension, good study skills, improving vocabulary, phonics, grammar, and composition
- Math –
- Fourth Grade: Review/Learn place value, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division with whole numbers, patterns and sequences, fractions and decimals, operations with fractions, customary and metric measurement, perimeter and area, geometry
- Fifth Grade: Number theory and fractions, Probability and statistics, Geometry, Customary and Metric Measurement, Area, volume, and perimeter, Ratios, proportions, and percentages, Algebra Concepts
- Memory Work – Daily prayers, Bible passages, hymns, Luther’s Small Catechism, musical and chapel presentations
- Music – Sing at Chapel, Worship Services, and other functions. Attend music twice a week, and will have the opportunity to sing a variety of songs including religious, patriotic, folk, and multicultural songs.
- Physical Education – Learn/review exercises and stretches as well as games. Sports such as volleyball, basketball, baseball/softball, soccer, and track will be taught
- Reading and Phonics – Decoding and phonics, reading and following directions, vocabulary building, sequencing, finding the main idea, language skills, location and correction of grammatical errors
- Science – Biology, Botany, Ecology, Zoology, Physics (Energy and Electricity)
- Social Studies – Learn map and globe skills, location of states and capitals, study other countries of the Western Hemisphere, United States History and geography